Did you Know?
- It is the largest reef in the world - extending over 2300 km (1300 miles) along the Australian coast.
- WOW! Astronauts can see it from the moon! They describe it as a “fine white line in the blue ocean"
- There are over 2900 reef and 900 islands in the Great Barrier Reef.
- It covers a huge area of 35 million hectares - that's about 70 million football fields.
The Great Marine Life...
The Great Barrier reef has some of the greatest diversity of marine life in the world
- 1500 types of fish
- 400 types of coral
- 26 types of whales & dolphins
- 4000 types of snails & clams
- 100 types of starfish